Why a person cheats can depend on whether they are male or female. The answer varies between the two, men and women cheat for different.
Sex therapist, Ian Kerner and infidelity expert, Ruth Houston gives us the top ten reasons men cheat and the top ten reasons men cheat below.
One distinguishing factor you will notice is that men typically cheat for sex where women typically cheat because of emotional needs.
“It's often said that men cheat for sex, while women cheat for love, the theory being that men can more easily compartmentalize sex and emotion, while women typically need to experience an emotional connection to a person before feeling sexual desire” States Kerner.
Top Ten Reasons Why Men Cheat
• more sex -
the desire for a more active sex life
• sexual variety - the desire for different types of sex or a particular sex act
• opportunistic sex – he’s presented with an opportunity to have sex without getting caught
• to satisfy his sexual curiosity about having sex with a particular person
• to reaffirm his sexuality
• a feeling of entitlement (the belief that it’s a man’s prerogative to cheat)
• the “thrill of the chase”
• ego embellishment - the desire to feel important or special
• peer pressure
• sexual addiction
Top 10 Reasons Why Women Cheat
• to fulfill
an unmet need for emotional intimacy or a desire close emotional bond
• dissatisfaction with her mate
• dissatisfaction with her marriage or relationship
• a desire for male attention
• reaffirmation of her desirability as a woman
• to re-capture the feelings of romance or passion
• a desire to feel “special”
• boredom or loneliness
• feelings of neglect or being taken for granted
• sexual excitement
One study shows that 75% to 80% of the men that admitted to cheating said that sex was the main reason.
Yet, only 20% of the women who admitted to having an affair said they cheated primarily for sex.
These reasons listed above are not the only reasons why married people cheat on their spouses, but these are the reasons that Kerner and Houston find to be the most cited by the married couples in their research.